Saturday 4 September 2010

To buy, or not to buy?

Hi Folks! Mum has been to stay this week, which has been lovely, and we have had a couple of days out. One of which was in Boscombe, which apart from the new pier was a little disappointing. All is not lost though - we saw some lovely antiques. So, to come quickly to the title of this blog. To buy, or not to buy? I am moderately obsessed with all things Deco, and during the course of the day saw this beautiful walnut unit.



In normal circumstances I would have looked at the price, and moved on. My problem is that I really love it. We have room for it. My Grandma has left me an unexpected inheritance and I'd really like to have something to remember her by. I have all but bought it, but can't quite commit. I've had a quick look on internet and can't find anything like it, and it seems reasonably priced for what it is. I have decided to wait a couple of weeks, and if it's gone, it wasn't meant to be. Can I reasonably justify spending a couple of hundred quid more than I would usually consider spending? Answers in the comments box please!

Today was the Dorset County Show. If there are any spelling/grammatical errors here, it is because I am SLIGHTLY pissed on local cider. As you can see - I was dressed to blend in today.



I love the show. Livestock, oversized veg, trying to work out why one sack of wheat is apparently miles better than any others, and the childrens craft exhibits. This year we were accompanied by our 8 year old nephew (fear not - he went home with grandparents BEFORE I got tipsy) and it made it all the more fun. He was particularly taken with the minature gardens. We all agreed with the judges that this was a clear winner.



I think we've convinced him to enter next year, which gives me a great excuse to help. The other favourite in this genre is the vegetable monster and vegetable animals. This is a real duck, right?



Then to the huge excitement of livestock. M got rather preoccupied with choosing hens for his imaginary chicken coop, and I particularly enjoyed seeing the sheep. The Hillside Flock of Greyface Dartmoors cleaned up this year.



I am particularly fond of the impressively horned Portland sheep:



No county show is complete without baking and preserving competitions, and M spend a long time criticising bread (he bakes all our loaves - I've not had to buy bread for well over 2 years now). I think if I were to enter any year, it would be with a jam or marmalade.





We marvelled for a long time at the array of home grown fruit, veg and flowers. Have you ever seen chillis shaped like roses? There were some lovely gladeoli varieties, and I'm surprised to say, I was impressed with some of the dahlias. I still don't like ball dahlias though (just one in the photo below). I think you need to be over 70 to appreciate those.









Then to the cider. Here is M enjoying his having 'suffered' watching dancing diggers with the young one.



From this point, I was taking pictures of anything.





I overheard a young boy in the rabbit tent saying that David Tennant was at the show both days. I am totally in love with DT and this news brought much overexcitement. Did I see him? Did I bollocks. Maybe next year...

5 comments:

  1. Ok.
    1. yes, buy.
    2. Ah, the show. We miss it so.
    3. Nice skirt.
    4. LOVE the funky peppers. A bit weird, but love all the same.
    5. No balls for me either.
    6. I want me zome zider.
    7. sorry M, but dancing digger rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kate! I thought of you all - we first met a new baby Noah at the show x

    ReplyDelete
  3. David Tennant is in America right now shooting a movie, so you didn't miss him. Maybe it was Matt Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi hope every thing is ok and you are just too busy to post ,i love the dorset fair post .do you know the dates for this year ,im only east devon and its my first year with an allotment ,so i really want to come for inspirtion. many thanks hesta http://green-glamour.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi - I'm not sure of the exact dates, but it is usually the first weekend in Sept. They do have a website nearer the time if you Google it. New post will be up at some time in the next week I hope :)

    ReplyDelete