Sunday 1 August 2010

Knit Nation 2010



Yesterday was the first Knit Nation knitting expo in London, as as you can see, I took full advantage of the situation. I cleared the credit card and gave myself permission to spend what the hell I liked for one day only. It had the desired effect on my psyche and I was actually quite sensible. There were lots more yarns I could have bought, but took notes instead for future possible internet purchases. I think I have enough projects to be getting on with for the moment. I was thinking of knitting a chunky cardi from my 'French Girls Knits' book, but worked out the yarn would set me back nearly £100 and I would need to buy crochet and knitting needles especially for it. If I loved the pattern it would be OK, but a bit much for something you just think you like the look of. I had quite a green day on the yarn colour front, which wasn't particularly intentional and quite a surprise when I looked back. I'm usually all about the red/pink/purple! I also got my hands on a deluxe set of interchangeable Knit Pro circular knitting needles for £25, some Knit Pro dpns and a gorgeous smelling knitters hand balm from Easy Knits called 'Baking Day'. The skein of ripped fabric was from Tall Yarns 'n Tales, and was made up of recycled saris. I made a rug for Mum at Christmas by crocheting strips of t-shirts which worked very well. The range of colour in each skein was appealing so I thought I'd be able to encorporate it somewhere.

One highlight for me was meeting blogger and knitting designer Ysolda Teague. I took a sneaky pic of her with my camera phone as I was utterly enchanted by her beautiful outfit. Looking at her blog, Ysolda oozes style and looks this good all the time. Some thing to aspire too!



Another great stall was the Rohrspatz and Wollmeise stand. They had literally hundreds of skeins in an array of colours and baskets full of laceweight yarn. They were selling the laceweight in 1550+yd 300g skeins which was great. £30 per skein, and enough yarn for most projects without the worry of running out (fingers crossed!) or matching dye lots. Here is a rather fabulous sock on display at their stand.



My only disappointment was that I was expecting a much bigger event. I think the classes were a key element of the event, and I hadn't signed up to any. Being more used to the marathon days at Ally Pally for the annual Knit and Stitch Show, I think I was left feeling slightly underwhelmed. SO, only one thing for it - to Loop! Unlike at the opening, I had the whole of upstairs to myself at one point which was a real treat. I was very restrained (or so I thought), limiting myself to 10-14g balls of yarn for the 'stained glass window' project. All went to pot when I realised they were nearly £10 each!!



M had caught the same train to London with me, and we went our seperate ways with a plan to meet up for the train home. We both had a bit of time to spare, so met at Nelsons' column and walked through Leicester Square, Covent Garden, the Embankment Gardens and through to Waterloo. There was a food festival on at Covent Garden (funnily enough with oysters! - See last weekend), and here are a couple of photos taken by the Hayward/Royal Festival Hall. The street painting was unbelievably beautiful and intricate, and there was a community project called Festival Morrinho - a minature city built of bricks by young people in Rio de Janeiro, in partnership with young people in London.




Another extravagance of the day took place at Paul A. Young's of Islington. I first spotted them on the TV show Mary Queen of Shops, and by coincidence it is but a few doors from the new Loop! I heard of a Marmite truffle and knew I had to try it! I bought a selection of truffles to share with M, in such flavours as Goats cheese with lemon and rosemary, Pimms and mint, Masala spice with cinnamon and white chocolate with salted sesame seeds. I bought a box of white chocolate slab with rose masala spices (coconut, black cumin, black pepper, cloves, cinnamon and rose buds). You wouldn't of thought these spices worked with chocolate but I can assure you it does! The masala truffle is genius! The photo below is me cuddled up in my PJ's ready to experience the Marmite XO chocolate bar. The truffle is more mixed in, but here there is a discrete thin layer of Marmite within the bar. After a small piece I am as yet undecided. When the flavours mix properly in the mouth I can see the joy, but initially my poor brain was a bit confused! Not sure. As I write I have just tried the goats cheese fondant cream. That I am sure about - fresh and lemony with the slightest hint of rosemary running through which works fantastically with the deep chocolate. Well done Mr Young!


No comments:

Post a Comment