Saturday 17 July 2010

Currant Affairs

No photos today, I'm afraid. Forgot to take my phone or camera to the allotment. Doh! Today was the day of reckoning for our currant bushes. We have been on the allotment for a few years now, and inherited massive gooseberry and blackcurrant bushes, and about eight crowns of rhubarb. We had until now just left them to do their own thing (knowing nothing about soft fruit) and could rely on a good crop each year. This year however, reeling from neglect, we have been punished! The gooseberries have done much better than we initially thought, with a yield of about 3lb. The blackcurrant was however a resounding disappointment. I decided we needed a drastic prune to improve the fruiting for the future (possibly not next year) and to tame the beast taking over half the plot! I cut back about half of it as directed by the trusty BBC Gardeners World website. It looks great and I've made a coulis for dinner with the scant fruit available. We'll have to wait for winter to tackle the gooseberries and rhubarb.

Working has been very poor for crafting and reading in general. I've not done that many sessions this week, but paired with trying to get trim and being a good friend, I've not had many minutes spare. I'll have more to share soon - I hope!

Exciting news. Ta da di da da: We are off to Canada for a month next year. All booked and no changing our minds now. We tend to stay in the UK for camping holidays and festivals for our usual holidays, and then once every 4-5 years we have a big trip. The last one was a road trip round the south island of New Zealand, and this time it's Winterlund in Ottawa. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment